Are America’s Economic Policies Sustainable? CED Holds Economic Summit in New York City
On Tuesday, June 23, 2009, CED hosted an economic summit at the Waldorf=Astoria Hotel in New York City. The luncheon forum brought together business leaders, economists, and journalists for an in-depth look at the current recession. Participants examined the root causes of the economic downturn and the turmoil in financial markets and offered recommendations for policies that would prevent future economic shocks. For more than 65 years CED has been a leader in promoting policies that will ensure long-term economic growth for America and the global economy.
“Are America's Economic Policies Sustainable? A Business Leaders' Summit on Our Future” featured keynote speaker Gillian Tett [play part 1] [play part 2] [play part 3], Global Markets Editor for the Financial Times and author of Fool’s Gold: How Unrestrained Greed Corrupted a Dream, Shattered Global Markets and Unleashed a Catastrophe. Ms. Tett provided an overview of the factors that led to the economic crash in the fall of 2008. She discussed the current state of the global economy and policies that governments can institute to restore trust in the economic system. Ms. Tett believes that the downturn is near bottom, but she does not expect a robust recovery for at least a year.
- Joseph Kasputys, CED Co-Chair, Founder and Chairman, IHS Global Insight
- William H. Donaldson, CED Trustee, Chairman, Donaldson Enterprises, and former Chairman, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission [play video]
- William J. McDonough, CED Trustee, Vice Chairman and Special Advisor to the Chairman, Merrill Lynch, and former President of the New York Federal Reserve Bank [play video]
- Robert D. Hormats, Vice President, Goldman Sachs (International)
- Benjamin W. Heineman, Jr. former Senior Vice President for law and public affairs at GE, and senior fellow at Harvard's law and public policy schools [play video]
Peter G. Peterson, former U.S. Secretary of Commerce, co-founder of the Blackstone Group and Founder of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation delivered the welcoming address. Mr. Peterson is CED’s longest-serving Trustee. The Economic Summit was held with the generous support of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.