Iowa Merit Selection Forum with former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor
CED, in partnership with Iowans for Fair and Impartial Courts hosted a forum in Des Moines to discuss the importance of maintaining Iowa’s judicial merit selection system which consistently ranks among the top courts in the nation. The event sought to highlight the importance of Iowa’s judicial merit selection system, and the potential danger that organized political campaigns may have on Iowa’s fair and impartial courts.
Speakers included Frank Carroll, President of the Iowa State Bar Association; Barry Griswell, former Chairman and CEO of the Principal Financial Group and the current president of the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines; Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court Marsha Ternus; Former Supreme Court Associate Justice Sandra Day O’Connor; Michael Petro, VP & Director of Business and Government Policy and Chief of Staff, CED; Janice K. Laue, Secretary-Treasurer, Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO; and Dean Allan W. Vestal, Drake University Law School.
News coverage of the forum
- KCCI 8, Des Moines: O'Connor Says Nation Should Follow Iowa's Lead
- QC TIMES: Former justice backs judicial independence
- IowaPolitics.com: O'Connor touts Iowa's merit system of selecting judges
- DSM Register: Former Justice O'Connor backs Iowa judge selection
- Omaha World Herald: O’Connor: Keep Iowa judge system
- Iowapolitics.com: Iowa for Freedom: Applauds U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor supporting its cause